середу, січня 04, 2006

a Sally with Internet is a happy Sally

Well, I've been to the bank four times and I'm not sure if I have an account or not. However, apparently Peace Corps was able to wire money to them and I got it, so I no longer am subsisting on three hryvnas.

New Year's Eve was a lot of fun. One of the teachers at school who's my age invited me to spend it with her and her husband, and we had a good time talking and trying to discuss the differences between US and UA holidays. Liz called me at 7:15 am UA time to wish me a happy New Year...I was pleased, although possibly incoherent. On Monday, Tifanni, our coordinators, and I went to the circus in Kharkiv, which was a lot of fun. Tif and I are going back to Kharkiv on Friday by ourselves to explore the city.

I have spent a lot of time lately explaining that I learned Ukrainian rather than Russian. Although Russian is the primary language here, I've decided to keep studying Ukrainian for now, as most people understand it and I don't want to let the three months I've already studied it go to waste. However, I plan to start on Russian in the summer. Peace Corps keeps telling us about PCVs who ended up fluent in two languages by the end of their service...maybe that will be me. It could be useful in the long run, post-Peace Corps as well. (Is there such a thing as post-Peace Corps? Inconceivable!)

For Tina and Aunt Donna, as well as othe people who are interested in sending me books/DVDs, etc.:

Yes, Ukraine has technology for VCRs and DVDs. Also, I can play DVDs on my laptop. If you want ideas on what to send movie-wise, Mom can give you good suggestions. Tina, as far as books go, anything by C.S. Lewis would be great...hmm, what else...basically, anything thought-provoking and Christian is good. If you're sending books, try M-bag...I'm not exactly sure what it is, except that it's relatively cheap and takes forever to get here, but it's the best way to send books, I've been told. The post office can probably explain it. :)

3 Comments:

At 2:13 пп, січня 04, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

You sound much less frustrated today than yesterday. God knows what you need and when you need it. I noticed you have 2 "a Sally with an Internet is a happy Sally"--you must be happy!!! Much love

 
At 11:22 пп, січня 04, 2006, Blogger Brandi said...

My mom and aunt say hello. Mom keeps up with your blog. Happy New Year.

 
At 1:52 дп, січня 05, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

You were not too incoherent, although we didn't have the greatest connection. I think I can call you once a month or less, because apparently it's really expensive. My dad told me he had to stop calling his friend in Sweden because it was costing too much.
Just for the record (for everyone else, I told Sal this on the phone) I tried to call her when it was 12midnight Ukraine time. However, I was not able to get through. So I settled on calling her at 12midnight East Lansing time, even though that meant waking her up. :)
Sal~ the letter should be in the mail soon. I still need to finish the follow-up. Hopefully this will happen over the weekend. :)

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home