середу, грудня 28, 2005

You know you're addicted to books when...

I've only been in Balaklia since 6 am Monday morning and I already have a library card. I also have visited the bookstore. Now all I have to do is go to the second-hand clothing store and to church and then I'll be right at home. :)

My new host mom, Marina, is really nice...unfortunately, while she can understand Ukrainian, she can't speak it (she speaks Russian), so communication is sort of challenging. We watch Russian TV dubbed in Ukrainian together and laugh at the jokes.

The school is on winter holidays right now, but yesterday was the New Year's play/dance/party. Olga, the other 22-year-old teacher (of computers), and I were the chaperones and danced along with the kids. I think I might be cool for once in my life. :)

Two of my closest friends here, Tifanni and Mike, are less than an hour away from me. Tif and I are going to make KyivStar mobile phone company very happy, as we are pretty much calling and texting each other every day. We might go to the circus in Kharkiv with Tif's school next week.

For those people worried about bird flu in Ukraine: I had a flu shot, and Peace Corps is definitely keeping track of what's going on. They've evacuated PCVs from infected areas, even going so far as to change the site placement of one of the guys in my group. They've also given us meds to take if it becomes an issue, and have informed us we shouldn't eat raw poultry or raw eggs...

Brandi, I got your ornament, slightly cracked but still in one piece. Many thanks, and you'll get a letter soon. Please email me your cell number. :)

Lacy: congrats on the engagement!

Everyone: Happy New Year!

1 Comments:

At 5:25 дп, січня 02, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Happy new year!

I guess I've not been keeping up with global news as I should; I didn't realize the bird flu was in Ukraine! I'll pray for you, chica. Thanks for sending your address!

... So let's assume that someone were interested in sending you (English) books... what would you most like (and/or, what do you not yet have)? Just curious. 0:)

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home