пʼятницю, січня 06, 2006

Raising Ebenezer

This is primarily for Mom, but some others may find it interesting as well...http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/001/23.62.html.

Basically, it's an argument as to why old hymns shouldn't have their lyrics updated. As a purist, I have to agree. :) My personal pet peeve is in "Alas, and Did my Saviour Bleed," where "for such a worm as I" was changed to "for sinners such as I". Theologically speaking, both are true, but I think that "worm" is a more effective term because a) it's in the singular rather than the plural, reminding us that we individually are sinners, and b) "sinner" is often used too casually, and "worm" reminds us of the abundant grace offered to us.

Theology moment over. Wow, that felt good. :)

3 Comments:

At 2:16 пп, січня 06, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Amen

 
At 7:00 пп, січня 06, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

it's been cool for me to get familiar with hymns through indelible grace...as far as i know they keep the words the same...talk about powerful!

www.igracemusic.com is where their stuff is

thanks for the link to the article...look forward to reading it!

ps over the past year or so hymns have become a passion and it's been great doing searches on technorati.com for folks that are talking hymns...like you!

 
At 7:36 дп, січня 08, 2006, Blogger Brad and Megan said...

As if you need more language overload...

In spanish it would be...
For such a gusano as I

It's one of words I actually know in spanish, so I got excited. Good luck teaching next week!
Brad

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home