середу, травня 17, 2006

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

First things first: still no fridge. It's been over a MONTH. My level of patience is unfortunately dropping daily. However, my bathroom sink has been running steadily for a week (except that I simply turn it off by turning off all the water to the apartment), and someone came by today to talk about someone else fixing it at some point, so there's hope still in the world.

The title of my last post came from Journey's song "Don't Stop Believin'". No points awarded, although Brad knew that "Midnight train" appeared in the lyrics and Liz remembered that it was my LJ title once upon a time (which I'd forgotten). Points would go towards bed and breakfast in Ukraine except that I don't have a bed yet, just an uncomfortable couch, and most breakfast foods need to be refrigerated.

~*~

For your amusement, the list of things I was thinking about on my way to school yesterday:

~the interplay between religious faith and academic scholarship, particularly in the study of religion, and how Chaim Potok does a better job of addressing the possible tensions in his books than any Christian writers I know

~cases of possessive pronouns in Ukrainian

~the necessity of refrigerators and whether or not it is a necessity of life, the fact that I'm becoming accustomed to living without one, and the fact that the K family has 9 people in it but they don't have a fridge

~the differences between Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant child-rearing, particularly how it relates to the teaching of religious beliefs to children

~why people in Ukraine tend to walk on the roads rather than on the sidewalks

~the origin of the word "robot" and whether or not it comes from the Russian word "robota", which is "work"

~*~

I taught 2nd form yesterday, after not having taught them since spring break due to a new class schedule. We had fun with our ABCs--we stood in a circle and passed a teddy bear around. I said A, Dasha said B, Valery said C, and so on. If you messed up, you had to sit down. My observations? Artem's studied more than the rest, and H is a problematic letter to pronounce.

~*~

I've spent the week watching The Princess Bride and various commentary tracks (yay special editions...I think they were created for PCVs). The movie is as funny as ever, I want to know how Wesley gets his shirt back (he doesn't have it at Miracle Max's but he does in the next scene), and now I want to see Lady Jane again, as it's my favorite movie and seeing Cary Elwes in TPB reminded me of this.

6 Comments:

At 7:05 пп, травня 17, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Yes, the first use of "robot" was as the title of Czech play about golems, in the 1920s sometime. The Czech word "robota" is the same as in Russian.

 
At 2:36 пп, травня 18, 2006, Blogger Brandi said...

Stage notes: I am down on one knee.
Visit me.
I have a fridge.
I also have a bed.
(well, really it is a sofa, but it can become a bed in the event of guests, which you would probably count as).
Circle one: Yes No
:)

 
At 2:16 дп, травня 20, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

I've finally read something by Chaim Potok--"My Name is Asher Lev". Good book.

 
At 2:17 дп, травня 20, 2006, Blogger Erin said...

er, yeah, forgot to say... this is "rose_in_shadow" from LJ. Hiya! :D

 
At 12:39 пп, травня 20, 2006, Blogger Sally said...

Brandi,

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I asked at the train station today how much a round-trip ticket to Cologne would be, and it's around $400, so I'm saving my pennies/kopeks.

What does "which you would probably count as" mean? What would I be if not a guest, the cleaning lady? ;)

Love ya!

 
At 10:25 пп, травня 21, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Might it be a tad cheaper to fly to Köln? I know E. European air is a bit dodgy, but it might be feasable?

~Autumn from Anthro (who stumbled upon this blog quite haphazardly)

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home