пʼятницю, травня 12, 2006

I baked a cake!

Am, as usual, at the post office. People are moving the ATM machine around, and it's making a horrible sound. Happy to be in a little glass box while all of this is going on.

~*~

My regional manager from Peace Corps in Kyiv visited today, partly because he's supposed to check up on how things are going, and partly to help urge the refridgerator-acquisition process along. My director assured him that they have found me a fridge in a town 40 kilometers away, and that one of the bookkeepers from school will be there next week and can probably pick it up then. It's either that or get one of the school's fridges, and I have issues with taking one away from them. So hopefully next week!

(Honestly, if you'd told me this time last year that I'd go over a month without a fridge, I'm not sure I would have been as persistent with PC paperwork! But I find myself coping fairly well without it.)

Because Vasyl was coming, last night I cleaned, planned lessons, and baked a cake. I'm honestly more proud of the cake than I am of almost anything else I've accomplished this week, partly because cooking (and especially baking) with Ukrainian stoves can be challenging. I used a recipe that Mama Luda had given me for a basic cake, made frosting out of powdered sugar, vanilla sugar (it's what we use here instead of vanilla), orange juice, and grated orange peel, then sprinkled cocoanut over the top and made a flower out of candied orange peel. Vasyl and my director each took a second piece, so I'm pleased.

Other cooking successes of the week include non-burned fried potatoes and deruni (fried potato pancakes, similar to how I imagine Hanukah latkes). If there is interest, I'll try and remember to post recipes.

~*~

Random interesting site I just ran across while surfing the Internet: Master's In Poland. It looks to be a work/study program that enables you to earn a Master's in International Education while teaching ESL in Poland. Not anything I'll be doing for the next few years, but just an interesting sort of program.

~*~

I'm curious as to who all is reading this blog and where you all come from. I know I have readers in Honduras and Germany, plus different parts of the US, but I'm just curious. So if you can all leave a comment with your name and state (or, if you're not in the US, your country), that would be fun. Especially if you're someone who just randomly found this blog online and thinks my crazy life is interesting. I'll post the stats after a week or so.

Also, if you have anything that you want to know about my life here in Ukraine, Peace Corps, living without a fridge, etc., let me know that, too. I've been trying to come up with some new ideas for posts, so I'm glad for imput.

13 Comments:

At 5:38 пп, травня 12, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Hi Sally,
I am one of the interested readers who happens to think you should write an autobiography.
Thank you for sharing your happenings. I am praying for you.
Love, Pam
Lakeview, MI

 
At 8:00 пп, травня 12, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

I think you already know who I am and where I am, but: Elizabeth, East Lansing, MI.

 
At 8:27 пп, травня 12, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Hey
It's Donald, (lj friend Greenhornet)
I have been enjoying your posts immensely!

 
At 10:41 пп, травня 12, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Shelby Twp., MI

It's nice to know what friends are doing even when they are halfway around the world :)

~John H.
MSU '05

 
At 2:08 дп, травня 13, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

This is your mother so you know where I live. I would be interested in hearing about your food and Ukrainian recipes. Do you have large grocery stores like Meijer? Are there farmers' markets there like Trufant or those in East Lansing? Love you.

 
At 5:03 дп, травня 13, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Hi Sally, I look forward to reading your blog every week. Having spent a short time in Russia a few years back, I can relate to some of what you are saying.Keep up the good work. Keep trusting! Hope the fridge gets there soon. Ilene Green

 
At 5:11 дп, травня 13, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Hey-

Melissa in Minnesota, reading out of Peace Corps interest... I'm nominated for next January and enjoy reading PC blogs to hear about people's real-life experiences.

 
At 6:00 дп, травня 13, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

you're 24, you goof ball. you need to update your site. hehehe. i hope youre doing awesome, sally. i really really respect so much what youre doing. traveling the world and honoring the Lord, thats so awesome. i hope u have a great time in the ukrain. U know...im 25% ukranian. my grandfather was fluent in ukrainian, actually. my mom regrets that she never tried to learn. well, keep up the good work sally. i hope to hear from u soon!!

-Jeff

 
At 11:42 дп, травня 13, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

It's Sovevuni from Livejournal in Warsaw, Poland. Quite close to you now. :)

 
At 6:33 дп, травня 14, 2006, Blogger Farmwife said...

Here in Ohio. We adopted our son from Ukraine, and spent a month there in 2000. Enjoy reading about daily life.

 
At 7:24 пп, травня 15, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Hi Sally,

I enjoy reading about your daily adventures.

Emmalea - Ellendale, DE

 
At 10:02 дп, травня 22, 2006, Blogger *~*~*~*~*~*~*~* said...

Hi my name is Sarah..I just graduated from the University of Michigan and Ill be coming to Ukraine in the fall for PC :) good luck with everything and maybe ill see you there!

 
At 5:38 пп, травня 22, 2006, Blogger Ben & Heather said...

Hey, Sally! I am not on here as often as I'd like to be- that pesky board exam is looming and all. (I take it May 26 to try to finally really be an OT.) Anyway, you are constantly in my prayers, and I try to catch up on here every so often! (Today it's an excuse for a study break...)
Love ya, hun!
Heather Jane

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home