середу, травня 24, 2006

a fridge tonight, hopefully!

When you know your mother has successfully integrated into the world of the World Wide Web: "I almost feel like a spammer" (this because she flooded my inbox with recipies, at my request, to use in cooking over here). :) Love ya, Mom!

I still don't have a fridge, but it looks as if one will hopefully be coming tonight. I'd ended up calling PC Medical to get tips on fridge-less living, which ended up not being helpful with tips but helpful in that Medical got involved and was firm about me needing a fridge. My Regional Manager was going to call the used fridge ads in my local paper (which I read to him over the telephone in Russian, an experience in itself), but then last night, a woman I know in town who's a good friend of my director's (and I tutor her daughter in English), told me that I'm getting an old fridge from the cafe she owns and that it's coming tonight. Yay!

(As a side note, I realize that over the last five and a half weeks, my perspective on life has changed. Refridgerators are no longer necessities, but rather much-longed-for-and-don't-like-living-without-but-not-essential luxuries. It's a weird mental shift.)

We've got a week left of school, which means that no one is doing much of anything. Nelya was in Kharkiv yesterday, so I taught her classes in addition to my own. This consisted of giving end-of-the-semester exams, which were painful for all concerned. Yesterday was a long, long day.

~*~

A week or two ago, I gave my 10th form a homework assignment to write a detective story using our vocab words from the current unit, which was crime. Out of 15 kids, I got one story, which used none of the words. However, Kolya, who is sort of the Ukrainian version of a nerd, was very creative, and I want to share his story with you (spelling and grammar are unchanged; however, you don't have to try and read his handwriting):

"Quarantine in the Grand Hotel"

Police closed on quarantine Grand Hotel with todger and advertise that in the hotel discovered Bubonna Plague [Bubonic Plague?] In the room Mod [Maud?] Borkman get through the window, man, Feliks Gullen. And people from police say her thet in the 71 room take place killing. Doktr Ranke was died. Feliks and Mod speeking and Feliks say that it's he kill Ranke, but Mod promised thet she doesn't say about him.

In the morning next day Vangold was prisoner. But he wasn't fault.

Mod Borkman be Demler's assistant, who was illed [I honestly think he means "sick," not "killed"] from plague. Mod say, that she kill Ranke, but in it moment Sergius say that he kill Ranke. Inspector Elder discover thet killer was Demler. Feliks was son of governor.

~*~

That just sums it all up, I think.