середу, лютого 01, 2006

I is an English teacher.

We have school this week! Yay yay yay yay yay!!!!

Highlights of a teacher's life:

~watching second-graders injure each other to the point of tears during the Hokey-Pokey
~my 8th form getting oh-so-excited about learning English, participating, and racing each other in a wordsearch to earn stickers
~one of my 8th form boys asking me for his daily grade...I wrote "7" in his daybook, he grinned and said "six!", so I changed it to a 6. The look on his face was horriffic, but I think he might study his numbers better from now on. (Usually when I teach, I remind myself of Mom. That day, I reminded myself of Dad.)
~catching a 10th form girl in the middle of forging her mother's signature on the class rules they'd had two weeks to get signed. I suspect there were a lot of forgeries I didn't catch...
~asking my 10th form for a list of shops and having one girl (a different girl) say "sex shop"...I informed her that that was NOT an appropriate answer
~giving my 5th form a test over the future simple tense. I can definitely tell who sat by whom.

This morning, I was at the bookstore and bought a book (printed in Ukraine) of short texts in English about English-speaking countries and people, in hopes of using it in my upper forms. My favorite quote so far: "[The Bronte sisters] lived in a parsonage in Haworth sometime between the year 1800 and the year 1900." If any of the Brontes had lived past age 35, I think I could have dealt with it better. As it was, Sally-the-English-Major-and-Quiz-Bowl-Player cries out, "Shoddy research!"