вівторок, лютого 28, 2006

A! B! C!

The post title is courtesy of my 2nd form, who discovered today the joys of waving foam letters in the air and yelling out the alphabet in order . (Minus K and S, which had been appropriated by a 3rd former, who has been apprehended and pinky-swears he will bring them back tomorrow.)

Life is busy, but interesting. Besides school, which I can talk about for hours, I had a full weekend. On Saturday, Nelya and I went to the Orthodox church, which I found fascinating. I wasn't able to understand much, as the entire service was in sung and/or chanted Russian, but the acapella, mostly female, singing was beautiful. But you don't sit down in Orthodox churches... On Sunday, I went to a Ukrainian folk music concert at the local Palace of Culture (don't ask, I didn't name it...sort of like a US community center). It was AWESOME!

Major Prayer Request: my friend Tifanni, another PCV, fell on the ice yesterday, fractured a vertebrae, and is in the hospital in Kyiv for the next two weeks. After that, it's up to Peace Corps Headquarters in DC to decide what's next.

Current occupation: researching Ukrainian higher education at the end of the 20th century for Nelya, as my Internet skills (and amount of free time) are more advanced than hers