середу, грудня 12, 2007

A night at the ballet

The office is buzzing with people COSing, people in for mid-service medical, and people in for reasons I know not.

Yesterday, I went to the Kyiv Opera Theatre in the early afternoon to get tickets to a show this week. My options were to go see a ballet by Tchaikovsky (the title being a Ukrainian word I didn't know) last night or the premier of the opera Yaroslav the Wise, which is about Ukrainian history, tonight. The ballet won out, easily.

Came back to the office and looked up Tchaikovsky's ballets on Wikipedia and discovered that I had a $4 ticket to go see The Nutcracker! (I had the opportunity to buy a $20 ticket, and once I knew what it was, I regretted not doing so, but it was fun anyway.) Three other PCV girls who were in the office also decided to get tickets, so while we didn't all get to sit together, we entered and exited together. :)

The ballet was wonderful. It was the first ballet I've seen. I've always been a very verbal person, and it was fascinating to see how a story could be told only through instrumental music and dance without any words at all. And I hadn't realized how much of the music I already knew!

Мітки: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:48 пп, грудня 12, 2007, Anonymous Анонім said...

The Nutcracker!!! How can Lakeview compete?????? We'll have to come up with something cultural.

 
At 3:44 пп, грудня 12, 2007, Anonymous Анонім said...

I love The Nutcracker!! I've seen it a few times and it's always wonderful!

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home