середу, серпня 09, 2006

sit at mushroom!

No, I haven't gone off the deep end...my post title is a quote from Oleh Y (in English!) yesterday afternoon. The mayor, for reasons I really don't understand, had given the Y family three large stuffed toy elves with mushroom hats. The Y family then decided to take a family picture with them (a cousin visiting from Kyiv acting as the photographer). Oleh asked me how to say "mushroom" in English and then went around telling everyone to "sit at mushroom." I fully believe in encouraging the use of English, but I was tempted to strangle him.

And yes, there is now a picture of me sitting next to plush elves with mushroom hats. If I ever get a copy, I'll consider posting it. Maybe.

[I begin to realize that the majority of my posts these days are mostly about the Y kids. You all have to realize that they are the people I see most often these days...I'm sure when school starts, I'll have more varied posts. But the kids are so much fun!]

Off on my Germany trip tomorrow! I head to Kharkiv tomorrow afternoon, have dinner and catch-up-on-summer with my friend Mike from training, and then take the overnight train to Kyiv. Friday morning, I take the bus out to Boryspil Airport...and then off to Germany! Brandi has assured me that I'll have Internet access, so I hope to be posting at some point.

The weather has finally cooled down, putting me in a cooking mood. The honey-mustard dip in the Peace Corps cookbook really does taste good, and I have chicken marinating in it right now. I also made sugar cookies. :)