понеділок, липня 17, 2006

home again, for at least a few weeks

I got home from camp at 12:15ish last night, after a 8.5 hour bus ride, a metro ride across Kharkiv, a two hour train ride, and a taxi ride during which I was too tired to communicate anything beyond my address, which sort of confused the driver.

This morning I walked to the center to run errands. Within the hour I was out, I talked to four people I know and told another woman who I'd never met that I don't have time to give individual lessons. It's very nice to be home.

I currently am having loads of fun trying to figure out how to purchase airplane tickets online to visit Brandi in August. I was delayed by camp and PC losing my original paperwork, so the cheapest tickets are gone. I currently am waiting for an email about how long international shipping would take, as apparently Czech Airlines don't have electronic tickets. Technology is complicated...

~*~

Camp was so much fun! We had about 20 kids from Western, Central, and Eastern Ukraine, plus three American kids. All of them spoke very good English, which was a lot of fun for me. My favorite class was when I asked "What is culture?" and the older group (university age) fiercely debated back and forth in English for 20 minutes. Highlights of the time included a day trip to Kyiv, a visit to a factory where they hand-weave traditional Ukrainian towels, late-night conversations with the kids about all sorts of stuff, trips to the lake, and lots and lots of ENGLISH. It makes me jealous, how much English those kids know. Something to strive for with mine, I guess... :)

1 Comments:

At 5:54 пп, липня 17, 2006, Blogger Brandi said...

Hopefully something to strive for with your Ukranian/Russian and not your English! Although I seriously think that having no serious high-level English conversations for a year or two reduces our ability to communicate eloquently in our mother tongue. Oh well. . .

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home