понеділок, липня 24, 2006

music, jokes, and movie reviews

Yesterday in church, I sang all three verses of "Praise Him, Praise Him, Jesus our Blessed Redeemer" in Ukrainian. By myself. Without a piano accompaniment (because we had visitors in church who were sitting at the piano and I didn't want a pregnant woman and two small children to have to move). It amazes me, the things I find myself doing! Afterwards, Victor Y told me that he was able to understand everything I sang. Yay!

As mentioned, the Y family has guests visiting from Kyiv. The husband studied in London for a year and used to be a translator for missionaries, so he speaks very good English. He currently is a writer and editor of Sunday School curriculum...plus, he appears to be a whiz at computer-ish stuff (Tif, this means that he's going to help me get that CD you sent me in a playable format). He helped install Internet on the Y family's computer, so I'll be able to check my email there as well. (Currently I am at the post office, which I also will keep doing...I'll just be able to check it more regularly.)

Best joke I heard from him yesterday:

Him: "Do you know what language we'll be speaking in Heaven?"
Me: "No, which one?"
Him: "Russian, because it takes an eternity to learn."
Me: "Amen!"

*giggle*

Movie Reviews:

Bride and Prejudice: This movie is AWESOME! It's Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen updated as a Bollywood musical set in India. The story adapts well to the culture...honestly, I like this better than the Kiera Knightly P&P I saw this winter. To retell Austen in a modern setting and do it well is much more effective than making another period drama. (It's why I enjoy Clueless as a version of Emma better than the Gwyneth Paltrow version as well...although I only like Clueless as it relates to Emma, not as a teen comedy.

The Sound of Music: I've grown up, I guess. I borrowed TSoM from Julianne this weekend, and it just isn't the same as when I was twelve. I love the songs...I can sing most of them from memory. But the movie doesn't have the depth to it that I find appealing.