четвер, липня 27, 2006

food and other stuff

Breakfast the past two mornings: crepes with black raspberry jam (thank you, Nadia, smetana (Ukranian sour cream), and powdered sugar. With a cup of peach juice. Ahh...

Speaking of food and the Y family: as of last night, I have enough produce to feed a very small army. Since the Y family is a regular small army, they have an extensive garden. Nadia always asks me what vegetables I need, so last night when I was over there, I said, "Oh, a few potatoes and onions, and maybe some cucumbers."

"Carrots?"

"No, I already have carrots."

Well, when it was time to go home, I had a huge bag of vegetables: onions, potatoes, cucumbers, squash, garlic, and...carrots. I just hope I can eat everything before it goes bad. It definitely cuts down on my food costs!

Non-food-related news: it's really warm here these days. I have two theories. One, that it actually is warmer here than in Michigan. Two, since very few people here have air conditioning or fans and because I walk almost everywhere, it just feels warmer. (I have a ceiling fan. Well, actually I have a "if it was on the ceiling it would be a ceiling fan, but I guess it's a floor fan" fan. Apparently it needs an electrician to install it, and that's never happened.)

I made friends with one of the bookstore owners in town yesterday. I went in to see if she had any pictures or posters of American authors, and we ended up chatting about Peace Corps and life in Balaklia.

Apparently, if I can read fliers correctly, there's a poetry evening at the library tomorrow night. I'm considering going...after all, support your local library! (Even if it only has two books in your language...)

2 Comments:

At 9:37 пп, липня 27, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

So does the fan function on the floor, or is it more like decoration?

 
At 1:48 дп, липня 28, 2006, Blogger Brandi said...

vegetables sound sooo good to me right now. So does the fan. I'm afraid it is just as hot here in Germany, and I don't have a fan at the moment. We have great ice cream though!

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home