пʼятницю, березня 24, 2006

woo hoo, spring break!

The title says it all. My spring break starts today! I went to school today, but didn't end up teaching any classes, since Nelya wanted to review grammar tenses with the 9th form, I don't teach 2nd and 3rd periods on Fridays, my 5th form was drafted to help their homeroom teacher clean her classroom, and we were going to be dismissed after 4th period anyhow. So I hung out in the teachers' workroom and read my students' pen pal letters to America, which I edited only for spelling and grammar, not for content! (Favorite line, from a 10th form boy in answer to a question about legal drinking age: "The legal age for drinking and smoking is 18. But that doesn't stop us!")

FYI, this also means that the one father didn't end up coming to school today. I still feel bad about the situation, but that's how it is, and you can't please everyone.

It's finally spring here, although there was a bit of snow and wind this morning. I celebrated spring/spring break by stopping by the bakery on the way home and trying a new snack. It was an ice cream cone filled with caramel and nuts with chocolate frosting on top. Not bad, but I wouldn't get it again...just too sweet!

Mom, Devon, Tina, and Tara: Thanks for the text messages!

Meg: What's STL?

Brad and Megan: No, they have one first name, one patronymic (the father's name with either -vitch or -ivna added on, depending on gender), and one last name. But most adults go by their first name and patronymic in social and business settings rather than "Mr." or "Mrs." For instance, my co-teacher is referred to as Nelya Ivanivna rather than Mrs. Vasylevna. However, I go by "Miss Sally" rather than "Sally Charlesivna"...although I thought about it!