вівторок, березня 28, 2006

church!

To everyone who my last post confused: it's straightened out now. But please put your name on your texts!

I WENT TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY!!! (For any new readers of this blog, "Sally's continuing mission to find a church family in Ukraine" has been a recurring theme.) It's called Calvary Chapel, and it's a small congregation of 20-40 people in Kharkiv. It's heavily college-aged and international--I met people from the US, Ukraine, Africa, Ireland, and England. The pastor and his wife are a year or so older than I am and have two adorable little kids. The preaching style is expositional rather than topical--Steven, the pastor, is preaching through the Bible chapter by chapter. Currently, we're near the end of Genesis. The music is in Ukrainian and Russian (although it's a lot of worship songs I know from the States, just translated) and the preaching is in English with Russian translation. Church got out at 3:30, and I made a mad dash, complete with running, two different metro lines, and buying a train ticket, to catch the 4pm train home instead of the 5:30. I made it with 6 minutes to spare!

Spring break has been wonderful...ie, I haven't done much. Read a great deal of Orson Scott Card and tried to figure out how much his Mormonism influences his writing (conclusion: a lot), plus decided that everything he wrote besides Ender's Game was fairly mediocre. Brandi, please feel free to comment. :) I leave for Zgurivka tomorrow evening, where I know I will be well-fed and well-loved.

FYI, all my clothes are getting miles too big for me, thanks to walking 20-25 minutes to school and the same distance home twice a day. I haven't lost weight like this since I house-sat two miles away from campus fall semester of my junior year. It's good, but hard on the warderobe.

3 Comments:

At 2:53 пп, березня 28, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

Clothes can be replaced easier than weight can be lost. I should know!!!

 
At 12:55 дп, березня 30, 2006, Anonymous Анонім said...

We should trade clothes! I've been gaining weight, so all my clothes are getting too small.

And you, of all people, should know how to spell wardrobe.

 
At 2:41 пп, березня 30, 2006, Blogger Brandi said...

I agree with the thoughts on Card. It seems that his writing has also deteriorated with time. Maybe he was a quickly burnt out genius like those he wrote about. P.S-did we decide what we are doing about a visit?

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home