четвер, березня 30, 2006

By the time I sleep tonight, I will have been in 5 different communities in a day and a half!

I've been on the move the last day and a half. Yesterday, I helped Tifanni move into her new house (she hopes it's temporary, as it has an outhouse, an outdoor shower, and the running water has been frozen all winter). Still, it was a cute house (half a house, actually, as Baba ["grandma"] Claudia lives in the other half, rather like the Ukrainian version of a duplex) and it made me want my own place soon. Baba Claud, for whatever reason, decided that even though she speaks Russian, she could understand my Ukrainian better than Tif's Russian and spoke mostly to me, wanting me to translate so Tif could understand her. As Tif was understanding just as much as I was, I just told her random stuff so Baba Claud was kept happy thinking that I was translating. :)

Then I caught the elektrishka to Kharkiv, and took the overnight train to Kyiv. Spent the day in Kyiv acquiring books from Peace Corps, the Thomases, and the English language library at Kyiv-Mohila Academy. Yay for new books. And soon, I'm off to Zgurivka to go visit Mama Luda, Tato Kola, and Sasha. There's no place like (sort of) home for spring break.