понеділок, листопада 27, 2006

post-Thanksgiving tidbits

Random thing I keep forgetting to post, particularly for Mom's benefit: When I spoke to the kids from the college, one of the teachers thanked me afterwards for speaking so slowly. She commented that other times she's met native speakers, they talk very quickly. Mom, do you remember all the times you told me I talk too fast? Maybe Ukraine has slowed me down. :)

Thanksgiving was great. It ended up only being three of us: Susannah, Greg, and me, but we had a good meal, played Apples to Apples (their first time), and watched Lost episodes until 1:30 am. They're now hooked on A2A (Susannah thinks she can use it with her students and I'm hooked on Lost...Greg rocks because he lent me the entire first season.

Yesterday I went with the rest of the young people from our church to the youth/young adults meeting at the church in the center...they have it every Sunday night, I hadn't been in quite a while, and Yulia, who's the girl closest to my age at church (also Nadia's niece), had asked me if I wanted to come along. Normally, I think it's singing, Scripture, and discussion, but they were having a "fun night" and we watched Garfield 2 in Russian. The language wasn't an issue...but WHY did I have to go on movie night instead of something edifying? :)

Best class today: 8b. We're learning about literature from English-speaking countries this quarter, so today was Library Day. I brought in books from all genres and taught the necessary vocab, and then we had a mock library where kids came up to my desk, asked for a book from a certain genre, and then checked it out. They liked it, and what I loved about it was how many of them flipped through the books once they got back to their seats.

Supper tonight: Thanksgiving leftovers! I have leftover chicken and stuffing, and I'm going to make white sauce to go with them. I'm hungry just thinking about it!