пʼятницю, жовтня 21, 2005

my first day as a teacher!

Story of the week: my first day teaching...

On Wednesday, I was supposed to do a warm-up activity with the 7th and 8th forms while Larysa, the Ukrainian teacher I work with, got some students started on their English olympiads, which are some sort of written test they take (maybe for scholarships?). She was supposed to be gone for 15 minutes and then would come back and teach for the rest of the 45-minute class period.

Well, both times she ended up busy and never came back, leaving me with a class of 10-13 students and only 15 minutes worth of activities. (For the record, when she did come back she was pretty apologetic...stuff had simply taken longer than expected.)

All things considered, it went remarkably well. I originally was going to ask the kids some questions about me (where did they think I was from, how many sisters/brothers/dogs I had, what did I study in college), show 5-6 photos of myself and my family and a map of Michigan and tell about myself, have them answer the questions again, and ask them how many sisters/brothers/dogs they had and what they liked to study. That got expanded into showing all my photos, discussing everyone's hobbies, singing "Yesterday" and "Old MacDonald" (multiple verses), and reviewing the questions about me at various points. I think I held their interest and I was able to keep discipline, so I'll count it a success.

I told the kids that they could ask me questions...the 7th form doesn't know much English, so all they asked was who my favorite film star is, but the 8th form asked me a bunch. Did I drive, did I have a boyfriend, did I like Ukraine, did I like America, who was my favorite pop star (!!!), and a bunch more I've forgotten.

As the 7th form was leaving, Yaroslava, who had told me the day before that I was pretty, came up to me and handed me a very small, pink teddy bear, saying, "For you."

I think I'm really going to like teaching.

7 Comments:

At 9:07 пп, жовтня 21, 2005, Anonymous Анонім said...

Blogging Celebrity
Blogging to gain celebrity is a misconception that many non-blogging people share.
A light supercar will always beat a heavy one. So the Bentley Continental GT and Mercedes-Benz SL600 and SL65 AMG may be good, but they are so heavy that lighter, less powerful cars will give more enjoyable performance. If you want one of these big jobs, I recommend the Bentley – it looks a dream, and goes like stink.

 
At 9:25 дп, жовтня 22, 2005, Anonymous Анонім said...

So what's with all these spam comments that keep getting posted on your blog? They're kind of annoying, don't you think?

 
At 9:22 пп, жовтня 22, 2005, Anonymous Анонім said...

Oh, so they have olympiads like we do in Poland too? Must be the same Soviet idea, then. :)

Basically, it's sort of a contest run on several school levels and if you're among the winners, it might result in you being admitted to a high school (or even a university department) without having to pass entrance exams. Depending on the place you won and the entrance conditions, you might be allowed to skip either the entrance exam in the given subject (that the olympiad concerned - say, English) or *all of the entrance exams*.

 
At 9:23 пп, жовтня 22, 2005, Blogger Brandi said...

Go to 'Settings' (second tab) and click on yes for show word verification for comments. This will stop the spam. If your blog has started being in Russian (mine became German) you can change the language in your Dashboard. On the right side it has three choices (I think it starts with 'change your profile') The last one says language and you can make it English there.

 
At 1:02 дп, жовтня 23, 2005, Anonymous Анонім said...

That is such a super sweet story (the last bit there).

I'm glad teaching is going well for you. :)

 
At 1:55 дп, жовтня 23, 2005, Anonymous Анонім said...

Nice blog,
here is another blog with much needed information country decorating french kitchen

 
At 2:51 дп, жовтня 25, 2005, Anonymous Анонім said...

I'm so glad teaching went well - I love the little pink bear!

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home