суботу, жовтня 15, 2005

Internet!!!

Greetings, everyone! I am in Ukraine (have been for about two weeks, n0w, give or take a day), and I love it here. I currently am feeling rather swamped by 4-6 hours of language class per day, plus an internship at the local secondary school (I'll be working with the 6th, 7th, and 8th forms), plus living with a wonderful host family (my host brother speaks excellent English, but he's only home on the weekends...my host parents speak basically no English, so this whole communication thing gets challenging).

Things of interest in my new life:

*the food here is wonderful, and Mama Luda is constantly telling me to eat more...more than I could possibly ever eat. It's rather overwhelming.
*The local cafe is called the Telepluzia, or Teletubby Cafe. I am not making this up, nor could I if I tried! There are pictures of Teletubbies painted on the outside walls.
*I went to the Orthodox church here last week, only to be sent home partway through service. I almost hate to tell why, as it's a funny story and several of you are getting it in letter form, but basically it's because my host mother thought that I was cold, because she was cold, so she sent me home.
*Ukraine is beautiful. It reminds me of a slightly shabbier, wilder version of Michigan. There's a lake surrounded by trees not far from where I live, and I went there to sit the other morning while having my devotions.
*Washing laundry by hand, even socks and underwear. Not fun. My host mother apparently has some sort of washing machine for larger items, which makes me pretty happy.
*Learning languages by immersion is quite painful, but I really do think it's the way to go.
*I miss people a lot, but I'm very happy here.