середу, вересня 19, 2007

Beowulf and the little pig (Fall cleaning, part 2)

The formatting on my previous post turned weird, so I had to split this up into two posts.

Next up for your reading pleasure is a poem about Beowulf that I wrote for my 8th form practicum class that I worked with during Pre-Service Training. If I recall correctly, they had been learning about Beowulf in their textbook, so I wrote this poem for them and cut it up into couplets. They had to put it back together using their knowledge of the story.

Beowulf was a hero,
He was a very brave knight.
He came to Denmark to help his friends,
Who asked him if he'd please fight.
So he fought the monster Grendel
And killed it with his sword.
Then he went back to the castle
And became king as a reward.
Later Beowulf fought a dragon,
But sadly, both of them died.
"Take care of my country," he said,
And all his country cried.

That was obviously when I was a rookie teacher and much more ambitious in lesson planning!

Although on the subject of lesson planning, I had a really good lesson with my 11a class yesterday. The topic was "Love and Marriage", and we matched up famous couples, ranked various traits in potential partners from 1-10 (moderately appalled both at how high "beautiful/handsome" and how low "religious"were marked, but these are Ukrainian teenagers), had a discussion about relationships, and brainstormed romantic phrases in English. The kids participated really well, even some of the boys who usually do nothing. Their hometask was to write a love letter in English, and four girls actually did so (with several others telling me that they had written love letters in Russian but weren't sure how to translate them!). The results were highly entertaining, and if I get a chance later this semester, I'll snag their copybooks long enough to post some excerpts. My favorite was Vika's, who began, "my dear little pig", which apparently is a term of endearment in Ukraine. I explained to Vika that in the US, it probably wouldn't be appreciated quite as much.

Мітки: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:19 пп, вересня 21, 2007, Anonymous Анонім said...

Hey Sally - Ginn, back in the USA woking in an AmeriCorps job in Santa Fe, NM - a literacy program! I have enjoyed eratic visits to your blog...remember the day we spent shopping for clothes early on in your PCV adventure...can't believe you are coming back to the USA soon! I've loved yur blog - lots of humor and some insights. 8-) Congrats on the GRE scores and language results - not shabby! Would love to read the love-letters! Stay in touch! my journals, et al: www.pulverpages.com Virginia....Life is GOOD!

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home