середу, вересня 19, 2007

Fall cleaning, part one

With less than three months left in Ukraine, I have suddenly been struck by the need to start sorting through 2 years' worth of assorted clutter, so as to not be stuck doing it all at the last minute. I have four(ish) divisions: Throw Out, Keep, Give to My School, and Give to Anyone Who Will Take It (subtitled "Where Did I Get This?"), plus Things I Will Use Before Leaving But Won't Take to the US. I'm pleased to report that Keep is the smallest one so far...or at least, it was before I added a large number of Ukrainian language manuals to the pile. I just hate to pitch them, knowing that if I want to keep up with my language in the States, I'd have a hard time finding a lot of stuff.

Most random find: a yo-yo. I have no idea where it came from...maybe the box Brockway sent me last fall?

And of course, going through papers means a trip down Memory Lane. To begin with chronologically, my personal definition of being a successful PCV that I wrote at Staging back in Chicago almost two years ago.

"I will know that I am a successful Volunteer when I am looked at as a member of my community, rather than an outsider. I probably will never be fully integrated, but when I can start to feel at home, when my students see me simply as their teacher rather than that American who's teaching English, then I'll be on my way. When I've had a good day because my students wanted to learn, because I've had meaningful conversations in Ukrainian, because I begin to realize how much I will miss my host community when I am back in the US, then I will start to become, in my mind, a successful Volunteer."

Wow. By that definition, I've been successful here, because all those things have come true. Something for me to remember when I get frustrated by everything I haven't accomplished here.

Excerpts from the first few pages of the notebook I used during Pre-Service Training (flipping further through it, I was appalled at how bad my spelling was in Ukrainian). Many of these words of wisdom come from higher-ups in PC Ukraine giving us advice in the first few days. They're in order, although I'm skipping some.
  • Read first 30 pages of med. book--administrative section [first note]
  • voda bez gas--water w/o gas
  • "Stop worrying. You just lost control of your lives for a while." Linda Wiley, PCMO
  • Nobody learns a language in 3 months!
  • being a PCV=like being in love--moods change, but hopefully you end w/feelings of victory
  • during the 1990s, Ukrainians lost 60% of their income--during the Great Depression, the US lost 25%
  • the Secret Police will know what I'm doing [in retrospect--really? if so, they were really secret]
  • don't photograph gov't buildings or transportation [broken by every single PCV, self included]
  • during training, think through whether or not I want to be here
  • you have to learn before you can share
  • babushka--old woman who knows everything

Мітки: , , , ,