вівторок, липня 24, 2007

quick update

I'm sad to report that the family from the Kharkiv area who's immigrating to Pennsylvania who were all beginners in English didn't come back for the second week. There wasn't a teacher for Elementary 1 and so they were all in Elementary 2, which was too advanced for them, so they decided it wasn't worth the money and went home. Which I understand, but it was disappointing. We exchanged contact info, and I might try and meet up with them before they leave for the States in September.

This morning (it's around noon now), part of our group went to Good Shepherd, a children's home out in Makeevka. It's partly a shelter where children stay for up to three months while the government decides where they go, and partly a long-term children's home for kids from dysfunctional homes. It's very well done, but seeing it, and realizing that this is one of the better options for kids in those type of situations, made me really happy that the Yukhemets kids have a real family and home to be part of.

I made friends with some of the little kids, who finished off my water bottle and were fascinated by the ice in it. :) There's a chance I might go back on Saturday, since my train doesn't leave until the evening, and I hope it works out.