вівторок, липня 17, 2007

I am an English teacher. And a Ukrainian/Russian translator!

Two days of teaching done, and am I tired! I love teaching though...we were planning lessons this morning, and I smiled when I realized how happy I was to be trying to figure out how best to present the material. Today we did a lesson with the pre-intermediate group about travel and one with the beginner group about food. The beginners are so much fun--they know that their English is bad, but they don't get all self-conscious about it.

My students are fascinating and varied people, and their reasons for learning English are varied as well. There's Ben, one of 12 kids in a family in Odesa, who's living here with a sister for two weeks so he can learn English well enough to visit his sister in England over the winter holidays. There are Ivan and Anna, siblings ages 17 and 22, who, along with Anna's husband and three daughters, are moving to Pennsylvania in September. There's Angela, whose husband is an Orthodox priest; and Galyna, who works at an orphanage in the next town and is here "so she doesn't get bored while the kids are off at camp". And so many more people...

We do conversations with 3-4 students every day to give them one on one practice...I'm amused to notice that a lot of the beginner students sign up for my slots. I think it's because they know I'll understand them and can help translate. For myself, I find it hard not to just go off into Ukrainian with them!

As a side note, the students all like that I speak Ukrainian/Russian, the DCU staff members are pleasantly surprised, and the other Americans are happy because I can translate things...like how not to save your password on the computer! I'm useful!

Emmalea: yes, they tried to play the Mennonite Game with me, but I saw a prime example of it when we all went out for dinner with a missionary here who is a Mennonite. Oh, and I'm supposed to ask you what Jeremy's dad's name is. And do you know Gordon and Bonnie Zook? I guess he used to be a Mennonite pastor in Lancaster County.

3 Comments:

At 1:34 дп, липня 18, 2007, Anonymous Анонім said...

I saw your parents this morning. :-) They came to pick up the furniture. My living room looks quite empty now. Your mom decided to donate the lamp to me. I have to tell you all about the movie of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, so hopefully we can get on the phone sometime soon. And it's less than three days to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!!

Glad things are going well, and I'll talk to you later, hun.

 
At 1:35 дп, липня 18, 2007, Anonymous Анонім said...

Oops! That was supposed to be less than four days. :-)

 
At 8:02 пп, липня 18, 2007, Anonymous Анонім said...

Hi Sally,

Jeremy's dad is Dennis Ernest. I'm pretty that I don't know the Zooks mentioned. Not being an ethnic Mennonite I am not particulary good at the Mennonite Game. I just find it somewhere between highly amusing and highly annoying.

Praying for you,
Emmalea
PS Are you going to be able to procure a copy of HP and the Deathly Hallows as soon as the rest of us?

 

Дописати коментар

<< Home